Friday 11 April 2014

Watcher - return of the giants - crowd action and foreign lands

just back from a lovely five-day holiday in Seville, Spain, temperature 30-35 degrees, 35% humidity, glorious sights and sounds (and tapas) here are a couple new WATCHER ideas:
 
  1. in the original 'watcher' 3D game concept (upon which this novel is based) I had a mechanism that used the crowds as a 'surfing media', and I've tried to at least 'homage' this mechanism within the novel. It translates into the book in a 'slightly different way' where I regurgitate 'the G3 giants' from my other G3-whistleblower novel TANDEM. The Giants in that book were real nasty, corporate combat models, but these ones are more 'gentele' or 'domesticated', at least as cunning, and have weirder abilities than just 'ratchet-lengthening bones' and fury, such as the ability to 'go where no man has gone before'.
  2. I want to incorporate some 'foreign travel' into this sprawling urban concrete+towerblocks landmass narrative. Sure, cities are a great thing to write within, but 'making it through security' and 'having to deal with tourists spots' that have high concentrations of human refuse is also a great writing challenge, certainly with Watcher's (stalking) context.
  3. Something to do with the 'wearer of the watch' (and what happens when it's stolen) will also reveal itself to be of 'utmost importance'.
 
EVENING UPDATE: Oh, my giddy aunt, Watcher just took the most massive U-turn of my writing career. And I love it. It's  a corker of a twist. A corker. One of several that are 'incoming', but this one took me particularly by surprise. I haven't written it in yet, as it's a later-stage development turn-around, but once it's in you'll go, "Oh, my giddy aunt!" Yes, my precious..... yes.
 
As of April 17th 2014, this first draft is about 27,000 words... and growing steadily more and more bizarre and insane each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment