Monday 21 April 2014

Watcher novel - major narrative upheavals - now links with Tandem novel

Hmm,
so I had some plans for the Watcher narrative, and what happened? The book took over. This has happened several times in my writing career. The book (or the characters) dictating where the story should go.
Same just happened.
I had a stack of ideas and a stack of narrative turning points (including two amazing twists in the tale) and recent developments suggest these were Red Herrings, which is kinda good because the novel looks more authentic i.e. less contrived, when I (the writer) believe it to be one thing when it's conspiring behind me to be something else. I've gone back in and edited the start a little but not to any grotesque extent, I mean it's not corny; just tidied.
 
It's still about G3 or the Global Gambling Game, but it's got teeth now, skin and bones and a brain, not just pretty face paint.
 
I love it when this happens, when I'm forced to realise what it is I'm actually writing, and that makes the process of Discovering A Novel really interesting - never a dull moment. Writing novels (for me) is, and should be, an organic process; the fact that the story is being dictated by the characters' actions tells me I'm on the right track. This is certainly not 'writing by numbers'. This is dangerous. This is on the edge. This is scary. And Watcher now it ties in to Tandem (G3 Whistleblower novel #1) more intimately; we even discover how The Market began... who Lorien Howell really is.
 
As I pass the 33,000 words mark, I realise I'm probably about half way through my projected storyline for this book - just depends how the new narrative content folds itself into the mix. How the book climaxes. How much patience I have not to involve any Kumiko (G3 Whistleblower novel #3) material at this early stage.
 
 
37,000 words mark UPDATE: so, I've had a couple of good writing days, really intense stuff, some wild and wonderful content ... and I'm wondering how much of it I'll retain. It's alright, there's nothing wrong with the writing, it's just that it might have gone a little too 'off piste'. I can't really tell yet, but I've got a lot of material to work with at least. A lot more crafting'll be necessary, before the emerging stoyline properly reveals itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment